Friday, February 15, 2008

A Little Rambling...

Well, after a public bus, some walking, a taxi ride, more walking, looking at a map at an internet cafe, a lot more walking, and bewildering looks from shop owners, I finally found the Sony Service Center. Located pretty farm from any place a tourist is typically found and seemingly in the vicinity of nothing, the lady at the Service Center was very helpful. She put in a job order for my camera, quoted me an estimate, and promised to have it back to me by Tuesday. So no all that's left to do is cross my fingers and wait. I made my way back to my guest house much more quickly than the time it took me to find the store, was just settling in to planning my trip to India when my phone rang. It's always a mystery as to who is calling--private, is all the little screen will produce at the announcement of an incoming call, but it was 2pm, practically the middle of the night at home, so I had no guesses. Irene!! I screamed into the phone when I heard her voice. We were still talking an hour later. I love the fact that Irene was just another Ghanaian, sitting in a lecture hall, Biology I think it was, way back in 2002. And here we are nearly 6 years later, and she is like a sister to me. Who would have thought? That reminds me, Bea called me last night, okay more like early early this morning, but she's all the way down in Patagonia, so how was she to know? I was sound asleep when she called at 1:30am and in my sleepy stupor I could barely carry on a conversation. I'm sorry Bea. It was great to hear your voice and I am so happy you called, sorry I wasn't more with it! Thanks to each and everyone of you who take the time out of your busy lives to post comments, to call me, and to email me. I look forward to reading the comments that come in just about everyday. It makes the world seem a whole lot smaller and its so nice to know that people actually care about what I'm doing out here!

2 comments:

nanny said...

I feel like you are doing "our" work. You make a difference daily. I just want to be able to contribute to the greater good everyday - recycling, eating organic and using products that will not hurt our planet. Our kids NEED to think of the BIG PICTURE not just the here and now.

You are the bomb!!!! Keep doind wht you are doing.

Anonymous said...

Of course we're reading...we're so impressed with you and I know I would love to do what you're doing with your life right now. It's so impressive. Keep up the great work and remember that many of your friends here are super jealous and super impressed by your ambition and braverly. I wish we could be with you on your adventures.