Saturday, February 9, 2008

Ko Chang

I woke up early this morning, too hot to sleep and too awake to bother lying in bed. So, I showered, packe dmy things and took an early morning stroll around Koa San Road. The drunks were stil drinking, beligerantly wandering the streets, tripping owver their own feet, sibling groups walking eachother to school and women setting up their food stall ready for their early-bird customers. Enjoying a big bowl of mixed fruit, yogurt, and muslei, I watched Koa San Road come to life, awakening from its few hours of quiet. By 6:30am the roads were alive and busling; amazing for a place that doesn't shut down until 4am, if at all. By 8am I was on the bus to Ko Chang. What was supposed to take 5 hours turned into 8, but once on the island, all the stress of Bangkok melted away as the rythym of Bob Marley breezed through the oceanside palms, and the sun set into the flistening turqoise sea. No worries.

On the bus ride, I met Angie from Germany, and Vicki from London. This is Angie's second time to Ko Chang, so she shared insiders' tips with us and led us to a great guesthouse up in the jungle overlooking the ocean. Vicki and I decided to share a bungalow to cut costs, so once again I have some travel buddies! There seems to be so much to do on the island from diving and snorkelling, to trekking and sunbathing, to taking to the skies in an ultalight, that I should have no trouble spending 9 days here. But tomorrow will be spent on the beach--swimming, reading, eating, and napping. I can't think of anything that sounds better than that!

2 comments:

nanny said...

Of course you met some more people - you are good at that. I am sure you all had a lot of tales to share.

Anonymous said...

Go Dona. I'm super jealous and think of joining you, oh, about every day!