Saturday, February 2, 2008

Day 5

The banana bread turned out much better than expected and was a big hit at the breakfast table. Today was another day of really hard work, it was back to the old rice paddy to turn the soil. For some reason I felt funky this morning, just tired and a little dizzy. More than anything I think my body was just exhausted. My attitude was crap this morning too. I hate this. I don't want to be here. Maybe I should pretend that I'm sick to get out of doing this work. I want to go home. I am really homesick. I'm never going to make it all the way to Africa. These were teh thoughts running, no racing through my mind as I started the days work. How pathetic is that? This went on for a good 30 minutes until something inside me screamed over the loathing, Shut up! You are being stupid. You chose to be here. The work is good for your body, and you are learning a lot. Make the most of your time here. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Ain't that the truth! And so, from then on, I decided to actively engage my mind while my body was hard at work. How am I going to use this experience in a month, in a year from now? What am I going to do when I go home? How can I possibly make enough money to be able to start a family, but not be tied to a 9-to-5? And then it hit me. Use all of these fantastic expereineces to write a children's book. People keep telling me I should write a book, but I don't particularly like reading travel books, so writing one was less than inspiring. But a children's book, I could do that.

2 comments:

Jigme said...

Erik would love one -- can u incorporate Elephants in it -- if Yes I will buy 10 copies...

Chhimi

nanny said...

great idea - a kids book to teach of differences - you rock. Hey it is ok to feel a little sorry for yourself - you have accomplished so much so far in your life. It will help when you can get the sleep you need without twangin to Asian karaoke hahaha - you were probably dizzy since your bed was dancin.

Love ya M