Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Years Eve

So much for spending New Years Eve in the tropics! Its absolutely freezing here! The temperature today never got above 9 degrees Celsius, which was really bad for my fingers during a 3-hour bike ride. I tagged along on a ride that Dingo was leading for a family from New York. It was so fun to ride through the villages, across rivers, and amongst the mountains. But the roads were busy with other tourists and it was an obviously well-worn route as the women were selling all sorts of Chinese trinkets, kids so accustomed to tourists didn't even look up as we rode through. But the scenic countryside was well worth the brutality of the bitter cold!

I spent the evening with Dingo and his girlfriend, warming our hands over the fire in his shop, enjoying a fish hot pot for dinner, and strolling down the festive, packed streets of Yangshuo eating more than my fill of my new favorite sweet treat. I don't know what its called or what its even made out of, but its fantastic! The goopey, blackish-blue porridge is served warm with your choice of assorted toppings. It's the perfect way to warm your insides during a cold winter night.

I was supposed to ring in the New Year at China Climb with Dingo and his friends, but after a multitude of confusing directions, 45-minutes of walking up and own the streets of Yangshuo, I gave up, bought myself a beer and watched Beijing's New Year's Eve celebration on TV from the comfort of my cozy bed. Plus, I had a great view of the fireworks from my window. It turned out to be a great night. Happy New Year!

2 comments:

nanny said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR - Our tv channel showed the fireworks in China and I thought of you. Granted we were a few hours behind you but non the less we thought of you. ;-)

Love M and M

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year dear Dona donut. I can't get over a Chinese dona donut shop! Hope yo took a picture. The holidays were not the same without you. Glad you at least got to enjoy some fireworks, but can't imagine you understood much on the TV. We miss you so much and pray for your health and safety.
love,
mom