Monday, January 14, 2008

I'm off to Laos!

I was planning on spending the day in Menghan, a small town just south of Jinghong where a many Dai minority people live. But because I'm still battling severe congestion and I'm running over budget, I decided that I'm going to start my journey down to the Laos border rather than spend another day in China. So, today instead I am going to have a nice leisurely morning in Jinghong before catching a bus to Mengla around noon. I was hoping to upload my pictures of China, but can't seem to find an internet cafe where that's possible. So unfortunately you're just going to have to wait a bit longer!

I'm happy to report that I survived the night with the Robby, the Spanish guy, but opted last night to stay in a dorm room with a woman from NYC and another from Israel. Yesterday I treated myself to a massage at the local Blind Massage School, which was worth every penny. I tell ya, sleeping on hard beds, spending countless hours on uncomfortable buses, and carrying a 25 pound pack, really makes for a knot-filled, aching back. Now if I could just kick this cold, I'd be as good as new!

I'm off to enjoy one last cup of Yunnan coffee. See you in Laos!

3 comments:

Jigme said...

I know we are spoilt but we miss the pictures.. PS: Lets hope the political situation gets better in Kenya.. A friend of ours was going there for her sebatical and had to call it off and now she is not getting her air tickets refunded.

Anonymous said...

Sorry and concerned you are still so congested, and you had to work so hard for currency. Glad to hear you're leaving, hopefully,the smoking and spitting. Gross! And hope you really enjoy Laos. Love and miss you lots!

Michael MacIntosh said...

Your readers are now entering Day 6 of Dona-less-ness. If you don't post something soon, I'm going to have to stop living vicariously through your adventures and get a life. :-)

Seriously, here's hoping you're having so much fun in Laos that there's simply no time to stop and blog.

PS - Ditto what Jigme said re picture.