Thursday, January 3, 2008

Kunming, China

The train ride to Kunming was uneventful, although I did get a lot of sleep! I'm feeling much better today despite the fact that I still sound pretty gross. I arrived in Kunming at 12pm today, earlier than I expected and immediately booked an overnight bus ticket to Lijiang. With more than 8 hours to spare, I spent the day walking and eating my way through the city. Although there isn't much to see, I managed to widdle away the hours by wandering aimlessly through the streets. I used to think that I had a good sense of direction, but between the twisty, curving streets of Hanoi, and my inability to read street signs here in China, I've gotten lost more times than I can count in the last 2 weeks. Today was no exception. I had hoped to make it to a Green Lake Park to spend a few hours sitting under the trees reading, but to no avail. Despite my inability to find the park, I did happen upon a pretty cool doughnut shop. Of all things, it was called Dona Doughnuts! Yes, that's right, Dona!! I've only ever met one other person with my name and we happened to be named after the same person, my great-grandmother. But to have a whole doughnut shop named in my honor, well that's pretty cool! of course I had to stop in and enjoy a Dona Iced Coffee and a few Dona Doughnut Holes. I couldn't stop smiling all afternoon thinking of what a coincidence it was to stumble across that little shop. Alright, I'm off to go grab some dinner and then make my way to the bus station before it gets too dark.

4 comments:

Beatriz said...

I want a Dona doughnut!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note about Dona Doughnuts, will have to try it some time.

I am trying to get from Bangkok to China by train or bus cheaply. Can you tell me how to do it?

I would be grateful.

Kevin Coyle
Phuket, Thailand

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note about Dona Doughnuts, will have to try it some time.

I am trying to get from Bangkok to China by train or bus cheaply. Can you tell me how to do it?

I would be grateful.

kcoyle@pinn.net

Kevin Coyle
Phuket, Thailand

Adam said...

I'm planning a trip this summer to China and Thailand. i'll be spending a lot of time in Beijing with a large group, but I'm planning on going to Bangkok afterwards. I would greatly appreciate any information on getting from Beijing to Bangkok by bus or train.