Friday, January 11, 2008

I've arrived in Jiangchen...

The bus to Jiangchen left 2 hours late, and thus arrived well after dark. As such, my ability to go in search of an ATM was obliterated and I had to somehow convince the guesthouse owners to accept my $10 bill. After much skepticism that the US bill was real, that it was in fact really worth 70 yuan, and that I wasn't trying to rip them off, they agreed to let me stay, but only in the most expensive room. At 40 yuan, its not something to cry home about, but I was hoping to pay half that. The room is China's backwater version of a presidential suite. It has a sitting room, free filtered water, clean beds, and satellite TV. Granted the bathroom smells of a backed-up septic tank, there's no hot water, and the rumble of the buses arriving and departing from the station below will likely create for a disruptive nights sleep, but I have nothing to complain about. I was stupid enough to venture into rural China without enough local currency. I just pray I can find an ATM tomorrow morning that will accept my debit card, otherwise there's no telling how long I'll be stuck here!

No comments: