Sunday, December 30, 2007

Running and Rock Climbing!

I've been feeling like a total sloth lately, so last night I promised myself I'd get up and go running. So at 6:30am when I woke up under the 12 inches comforting warmth the blankets provided, the last thing I wanted to do was brave the cold. Keep in mind that I didn't bring any running clothes of shoes with me, so running in China means Capri yoga pants, tank top, long sleeved shirt, and Chaco sandals. Despite how difficult it was to get out the door, I did. My ears ached in the cold, my lungs burned, and my toes were popsicles, but I felt so much better afterwards. In China thus far, the staples in my diet have consisted of rice noodle soup, dumplings, and sweet bread...not a whole lot in terms of veggies. I try to go to the market everyday to buy carrots, mandarins, and bananas so that I feel a little bit better about what I'm eating, but still, I miss the abundance of greens that were available in Vietnam.

This afternoon Sam and I went rock climbing at a nearby Karst formation called Wine Bottle. We had so much fun!! I have to brag a little though. Of the 3 other people that we climbed with, I was the only one to make it up all 4 courses! This was my first time climbing outdoors and it was so exhilarating. Dingo, the climbing shop owner and our guide for the day, was so impressed with me that he's invited me to climb again with him for free!

After a few hours of climbing we were all exhausted and Sam and I agreed that the only way to conclude such a fun day was over a few beers. We treated Dingo and his assistant to some local beer, and they provided the peanuts and sunflower seeds. How perfect is that?!? By dinner time we were all starving and headed next door to a restaurant that specializes in the local favorite, Beer Fish. I have to say I am very impressed with Chinese food. We really get the short end of the stick with American Chinese food.

Despite the language barrier, Dingo and I managed to have a lively conversation and a very memorable few hours!

5 comments:

nanny said...

Popsicle toes and climbing what a full day. Good job in taking care of yourself. How fun to meet so many people - keep it up Dona. Thanks for the continued updates. M

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!!!

What a great way throw out the old and bring in the new! Enjoy your travels this year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Dona! I'm back from AZ and just checked your blog, WOW! It sounds like this experience has helped you grow into just MORE of the wonderful person you are.
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

BIG hugs,
T-elf

Beatriz said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I miss you.

nanny said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR MISS DONA. 2008 is going to be your year. Love to you M