Monday, January 7, 2008

Dali, China

I really like Dali. There's something very comforting about it. Last night I enjoyed a fantastic wood-fired pizza, a movie on the flat screen TV at the guest house, and now, I'm sitting in a coffee shop, next to a wood fire, warming my hands, listening to a great assortment of American music, drinking a cup of pipping hot Yunnan coffee. This is the first time I've let myself splurge on the indulgences of Western comforts, and its really nice. It's like having a little piece of home when you're just in the mood for something that's not China, not Asia, not foreign.

I spent a good part of today on a rented bike, trying to get to Erhai Lake. While I never quite got to my intended destination, I stumbled upon a bustling, colorful Bai market that captured my attention for at least 2 hours. Villagers were selling everything from tobacco to melon seeds and noodles, to meat, jewelery, and wardrobes. I tasted a few of the odd concoctions that were being sold, however I was never quite able to figure out what I was eating. First was a bowl full of giggly, off-white chunks covered in bitter honey. The texture was like an animal product, but it tasted like soy. Two, bird-like pecks at the goop was enough for me. Next,was an egg-shaped ball of stringy, powder covered hair and nuts. It was an assault on my tastebuds and never made it to my throat. So much for being adventurous!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Powdered hair and nuts? Are you sure it wasn't spun sugar?? And the jiggly stuff--maybe it was rice flour?...Ahh, I'm just trying not to gag thinking about the adventurous things you are eating. You're in an awesome part of China right now--so many countries are boarding..I'm picturing you hopping over a mountain ridge on your bike into a new country...it's amazing how the ethnic minorities are able to preserve their culture so well, even though the main street may be fully commercialized. Ready for some Tibetan techno music at 5am? Goes great with yak butter tea (that statement is not an endorsement for yak butter tea)...Hey, have you had yak meat yet? Yak jerky is yum. Eat away, Ms. Dona!

nanny said...

glad to hear you are well. We have been without power for 3 days and without internet for 5 days so I feel like I missed a lot. I hated not being able to check your blog. I miss you. New foster baby - should I adopt? I miss you lots.

Love Michelle

Anonymous said...

Dude, leave another entry already! We're getting antsy over here!

Jen said...

I agree with Paula! It's been too long Dona! :)

Anonymous said...

Whaddaya expect us to do in the tower all day when there are no new entries to read?!? We're goin' crazy up here!

Don't make us come looking for you! ;-)