Sunday, July 27, 2008

Why are we so scared?

Hitch hiking has slapped me int he face with the realities of muzungus in Africa. Only once has a car driven by whites or with white passengers even slowed just the slightest bit to make sure we were ok, and never once have we been offered a ride. It's hard for me to comprehend why. Is it fear? Or indifference? Or lack of commraderie? I think it must be a little bit of all of those. But why? Are two American girls walking down a road in extremely rural Uganda a threat? Why wouldn't you stop if you saw two foreign girls sitting on top of their backpacks more than 20km from the next Rwandan village? I think the reactions we've encountered--fellow tourists and expats zooming by in their armoured vehicles, barely even daring to glace in our direction--speaks to the culture of fear that we as Americans, as westerners have grown accustomed to living in. Propoganda domiates our media. Terrorism. Guns. Suicide bombers. Civil war. Hate crimes. Murder. Gangs. National Security. Don't leave America because it's dangerous out there, shouts the media. And unfortunately, that fear is all too evident here. The vast majority of tourists I've encountered have been shocked and baffled that I'm traveling throughout the region as an independent traveler. Most come on organized tours, never leaving the percieved security of their private cars, their fellow travelers, or the hotels catering almost exclusively to foreigners. I get the feeling that far too many peopel come to Africa, to far off, exotic, and dangerous sounding places to snap photos of dirty kids, of people in traditional dress, and of wildlife just to impress people at home. It infuriates me that people come to Africa only to experience it from an arms length, from behind bullet-proof glass, and from the comfort of an eco-lodge or 5 star resort. We're safer here than we are at home. The people here are curious about us and want to have conversations with us. The local food is safe and delicious. Local transportation while it might not be the most comfortable, you'll never feel more connected to a country or have a greater sense of commraderie than when you're piled into a minivan with 25 people and their goats. Step outside of your box, leave your security blanket at home, and you'll be amazed at the world out there.

3 comments:

Beatriz said...

wanna hear something crazy? i just read this statistic that says that in the United States, when people are visiting the National Parks, they don't go any farther than an average of 100 feet from their vehicles. Isn't that nuts? I think it's not just when people leave their home country, I think fear (or laziness) gets to them when they leave their home, period. Therefore, that makes people like us, awesome.

nanny said...

Fear is what drives sooooooo many people especially Americans. There is this "bigger and better" attitude here. What is funny is that many europeans find America to be scarey. I think what your doing is "brave" but brave in the way of self exploration not gun-in-my-pocket brave. You have set off on a journey that most people could never realize or brave, most Americans are chickens. I am extremely proud to know you and follow your journey. You ARE an amazing person. I have to admit that when I see the headline "hitch hiked to Rwanda" I took a deep breath and then read on.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dona Your dad wants me to send you some money, but I don't know the best way to send it. Can you email me? monahawk@netzero.com and let me know if we can figure out a way to get you some bucks? Mona