Tuesday, July 29, 2008

An Update on My Plans

I've decided against going to Burundi. Internet searches and local newspapers highlight violence that continues to grip both urban and rural parts of the country. And its not just violence between civilians and rebels, hutus and tutsis, but foreign aid workers are being targeted, especially in Bujumbura, the capital city. So instead, I'll cross back into Tanzania and travel south along the country's remot western cooridor towards Zambia and Malawi. I think I'll have about 3 weeks to see either or both of the countires before returning to Dar Es Salaam to visit Cathy and so some shopping, then head up to Babati to visit Morris and go on a safari, spend a week at the training camp in Mbulu, and if I have time, spend a few days on the slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro before flying home on September 17. My time is really widdling down, but its amazing how much you can do, see, and experience in just a few weeks! But no more planning for the future, today Kate and I are looking forward to trekking the volcanoes and hopefully spotting some primates at Volcanes National Park just outside of Ruhengeri in north western Rwanda. This park is home to Rwanda's infamous mountain gorillas and although we don't have permits to track them, we're hoping an availability or two opens up so that we can see the magnificent animals.

1 comment:

nanny said...

keep up the trek. I know you are having the time of your life. Time does seem to be winding down and it always a bitter sweet thought of coming home. But the experinces you have had will surely change all who love you. Hope you get see the gorillas.

Love you