Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Kabale and Lake Bunyonyi

The bus ride down to Kabale was a relatively uneventful 8 hours, except for the little girl who puked all over me just as we left town! We drove through Queen Elizabeth National Park and spotted storks, wildabeest, and plenty of bats. A Dutch woman died just last week after contracting a form of ebola from the bats down here, so I'm glad we just passed through! Sometime during the day, the ticket collector on the bus decided he wanted me to be his girlfriend and during one of the many stops along the way, presented me with a huge bunch of bananas. I declined his offer and enjoyed his gift of bananas, but his longing eyes were upon me the rest of the trip. Once we finally reached Kibale, the touts and motorcycles were aggressive and intimidating, not exactly the best way to start off after spending all day on a dusty bus. But once we grabbed our bags and escaped the onslaught of commotion, we were able to hitch a ride out to Lake Bunyonyi in the back of a pickup truck, a big rig, and then finally on the backs of motorcycles. Kabale and Lake Bunyonyi have been dubbed "The Switzerland of Africa," and although I've never been to Switzerland to compare, the terraced hills, pine forests, and high mountain lake could easily pursuade me to relax here for a few days. We're staying in a rustically charming tent-cabin overlooking the lake, and after a few beers around the campfire, I was lulled to sleep by the symphony of crickets and frogs. It's amazing what a world away you can travel in just a few hours.

No comments: