Friday, July 25, 2008

Rwanda!

We're going to Rwanda today! Rwanda is one of those countries that has always held a certain level of mystery and excitement for me, a place that my mom regards as one of the most beautiful places on earth, and a country with a culture unique to its own. Mention Rwanda and images of a horrific genocide are conjured, but that was nearly 15 years ago. Nobody talks of the enormous strides the country has made in uniting its people, of healing shattered communities, and bringing justice to the perpatrators. Why is it that people are still scared to visit Rwanda? Why are we still hanging on to a history that we chose to ingore in a country's darkest hour, but now, well over a decade later, we can't seem to let go of? I hope that me being there opens the hearts and minds of people at home to the true realities of this tiny East African country.

3 comments:

Beatriz said...

you're totally my hero, i love you! i would hitch hike with you anywhere.

Calvin Hirsch said...

Dona describes scenes remarkably vividly and yet wonderfully compactly. There is no need for photographs; the imagery she conjures up exquisitely captures the essence of what she describes. What a talented writer she is, what an exceptional human being. I am so proud to be her step-dad. And Emily says "Hi!" as we listen to the wind rush through the trees of Squaw Valley like ocean breakers crashing on the seashore -- so many miles away, so many hopes, ideals, dreams, and realities away. We love you and miss you!

nanny said...

you are the amazing Dona I have always known. I am soooooooooo proud of you and your remarkable journey. I can not wait to sit with you and good wine (and then coffee)talking about all of this. Truly UNFORGETTABLE.

I LOVE YOU