Friday, July 4, 2008

Hanging out in Mombasa

Happy 232nd Birthday America! Being in Kenya I'm missing the quintessential 4th of July celebratry fireworks, but today is a great day nevertheless. I've been staying in Mombsas with Patrick and his cousin, Jon since I arrived here on Wednesday. Patrick is a couch surfer and both of them have been great hosts! They are incredibly easy to talk to and the conversations we've had have been awesome--US politics, soul searching, African history, what it takes to be truly happy, beer-- you know, the usual!

Also staying here is Jeremy, a 23 year old guy from France who left home in October to embark on a 3 year hitch-hiking stint around the world. I only wish my mom was here to give him some advice! He started in Europe, passed through the middle east, crossed on to the African continent via Egypt, and is making his way south until he reaches South Africa. He'll sail to South America from Cape Town, explore the Americas and then sail once again to the South Pacific, stop over in Asia, travel overland to India, and then make his way home. Amazing! Jeremy and I have spent the past few days hanging out and sharing travel stories. Sunday he leaves for Uganda, and tomorrow I leave for Lamu. Kate arrives in less than 2 hours, which is exciting beyond belief. I've been anticipating her arrival for months and I can't believe its down to just mere hours now. She more than makes up for the lack of fireworks!

No comments: