Sunday, July 20, 2008

Seeing myself in my parents

There's a quality in both my mom and dad that I was so embarassed by growing up, but grew to admire as I got older. A quality that I never saw in myself and never really expected to see. I was always too shy or self-conscious, too concerned about what other people thought about me. But my parents have always had the amazing ability to just talk to anyone, befriend anyone, engage anyone in conversation. At the grocery store, in line at the post office, in traffic on the freeway. I'd always duck my head in embarassment, roll my eyes in my annoyed teenage way. But now, its a quality I absolutely love about them. Why not talk to your fellow shoppers, or to the person sitting next to you on the park bench? We are all just people, plain and simple, and why not enjoy eachother's company? And finally, I've seen this same quality in myself. Kate made a comment a few days ago about my ability to befriend anyone, and I had one of those out of body moments when I was able to step back, out of my body to really see myself and the person I've become. And I really am a product of my mom and dad. I see more and more of them in me everyday. It's like my bond with them is tightening and strengthening, my love for them, my admiration and gratitude to them has increased immensely in recent months. I so look forward to getting to know each of them on a human level, not just as my mom and dad, but as human beings who have great knowledge and wisdom, who have stories to tell and who I am proud to be a part of. So mom and papa, this one is for you, for the wonderful years we've had, to the life you've given me, and to the many many years ahead that we'll get to share together. I love you both.

1 comment:

nanny said...

nicely put Miss Dona. You have always had that ability - you talked to me - a perfect stranger. I am sure this posting warmed your parents hearts, I know it sure made me smile.