Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Moving on to Mombasa

I spent the majority of today on a bus from Dar Es Salaam to Mombasa, and most of my hour doing one of my favorite travel activities--drifting off into my own thoughts, gazing at the passing scenery, and just being alone, relishing in the relative anominity that the bus provides me. Cathy uploaded lots of East African Bongo Flava music for me, so I finally had some new tunes to bop my head to and nap my feet to. But it was when Kenny Chesney's "Don't Blink" came on that the memories of the past 8 months flooded my thoughts and the realization that this journey is coming to an end brought tears and an intense sadness. To say that this journey, this experience has been life changing, while it holds truth, doesn't do it justice. I've become the person I always wanted to be, I've learned to truly and deeply love myself, and I have found total happiness. This is a time of my life that no one can ever take from me, and no one can ever duplicate this experience. It is unique to me, and only me. I have shared my days with many wonderful people, some who simply passed through my life, others who have become close, dear friends. But I've learned something from each of them, and am forever grateful. Soon the freedom and adventure of a carefree life of traveling will end, to be replaced by a new chapter, one that promises to be full of lessons and new experiences too, just of a different sort. I have learned the value of being selfish, I have fallen in love and mended a broken heart, and I have found my niche with the girls of Team 100. The three things I hoped to accomplish this year. It's such a satisfying feeling to have come so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful feeling for you to see how much you have accomplished and to better know and finally love yourself for who you are. You have always been beautiful in so many ways, and I am grateful this journey has helped you better know/love yourself and recognize your beauty. And to know what an impact you have made on so many girls and others. Can't wait to enjoy the next chapter. Enjoy Mombasa, but especially Lamu. Greetings to LAra and her family and enjoy that spectacular island for me.
love and miss you soooooooo,
mom

Anonymous said...

I am SO happy for you Dona, you have accomplished so much in so many ways and your life's journey has barely begun! The "tools" you have aquired from your experiences will serve you well as you continue on your way to MORE wonderful things. You are incredible!
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Love and hugs,
T-elf