Sunday, May 4, 2008

Rambling thoughts for the day...

I didn't take well to life at the ashram at first. But slowly, gradually, I am finding my way, and beginning to settle into the daily routine of mediation and yoga. I wake up in anticipatory excitement for the morning meditation and to listen to the teachings of the ashram's guru. My body has aclimated to the heat, and while I was hoping that coming to Rishikesh would provide respite from the muggy heat of Mumbai, the constant, albeit warm breeze that flows off the Ganges provides at least some relief. Having only negative experiences with yoga prior to this, I was skeptical of my ability to enjoy the benefits of the ancient practice, but I have come to appreciate its calming and energizing effects. Forging friendships hasn't come easy here, as many have taken vows of silence, however there is enough stimulation along the tiny strip of restaurants, shops, and temples to provide many hours of fascinating people watching.

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement and positive thoughts during the difficult times of sadness, loneliness, and soul searching. I find such comfort in knowing how many people check up on me daily, who keep me in their prayers, and who love me unconditionally. Despite how far I am from home, I feel like I have grown closer to the people who I love and care about, and I so look forward to seeing each and every one of you when I return home...whenever that may be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's WONDERFUL you are settling in and finding some peace. Yes, you are thought of, loved,and wished the VERY best. Enjoy!

Hugs,
T-elf

nanny said...

Dona, when you get home you need to teach me the wonders of meditation - you could start your own classes haha. It was AWESOME talking with you. You bring so much to the lives of us and we cherish your friendship and unconditional love too. I am so glad that you are finding your footing again and know that you are entering another phase in self realization - you go girl!!!!!!!!

Love you so M and M and R

Beatriz said...

its been so great being able to chat with you! I can never remember the time difference between Italy in India (whoa! all we need is a friend in Indonesia and we'll be like Elizabeth Gilbert x 3!!) but I want to call you soon. It's wierd to think of us being in such different places right now... my mind still wanders back to our days shopping, eating and beach bumming in SE Asia!

Anonymous said...

You got it!

We love you unconditionally and miss but want your trip to propagate and resolve in it's own time.
Come home whenever you want.

We/ve got a beautiful place for you to live, a job at the uiversity if you want it, or maybe put you on beach or sunset watch, gardens everywhere, chickens and other critters to follow.
New dirtbikes and everything else we could need.

Hey! May 19th

FULL MOON.

Are you ready?

love