Thursday, May 29, 2008

My morning in Arusha

I connected with Zach last night and he will be picking me up at lunch time today to take me to the training camp...phew! I spent much of the morning sending emails,updating my blog, and walking around Arusha. While in search of the Celtel store (my phone service provider), I met 2 teenage boys who walked with me and patiently helped me practice Swahili. I've never had such a strong desire to learn a language, and already with the help of a phrase book, I'm able to communicate basic things.It's exciting to be able to tell someone what I want,to bargain in the local language, and to respond when someone greets me. I can also now count to 50 which really helps at the market! I spent3months in India, and never learned more than a few words of Hindi. But Swahili is a language that is fun and exciting for me, and one that over the next four months I hope I can get a good handle on. Not that its a useful language to know--spoken only in a handful of East African countries, but is a language for me that is exotic and a pleasure to speak. So, until next time, kwa heri!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hujambo!
It's SOOOOOOOOO good to hear you are out of Nairobi and enjoying the splendor of the Tanzanian savannah. We hope you never see your couchsurfer host or anyone like him again. He was scary! I so enjoy your outstanding descriptions of what you are seeing/doing, which brings back such wonderful memories. Too bad it's so much more expensive; that wasn't always the case, but you can certainly understand given the the struggles of the African people. We'll be happy to subsidize your travel there. PLEASE answer your phone so we can talk about it!!! Ninakupenda, my sweet sugar donut. Kwaheri

Anonymous said...

so..? how do we donate to your paypay account.

I can't find that old recipe?

Does anyone know?

Thanks