Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Nairboi to Arusha

I happily said goodbye to Nairboi this afternoon, boarding a bus for Arusha, Tanzania. After we got out of the city and its expansive suburbs, the pot-holed streets gave way to smooth tarmac, the dust and exhaust fumes eased into crisp, rain quenched air, and the endless roadside stalls of used clothing, shoes, and furniture eventually disappeared into the great African savannah. The plains stretched out for miles, exotic bushes and trees scattered the landscape,and the distant hills provided a magnificent canvas for the sun's setting rays. As we neared the Tanzanian border, the hills became dynamic mountains, gazelles and impalas sprinted through the tall grasses, and herds of cattle and goats were tended to by their owners donned regally in bright red cloth and intricate beaded jewlerly. After crossing the border, Mount Meru revealed herself. Shrouded in thick clouds, the mightiness of Africa's 3rd tallest peak was diminished, but beautiful all the same.

I arrived at the Impala Hotel expecting to be met by Zach, the founder and head coach of the training camp I'll be staying at.However,my bus was 2 hours late and Zach wasn't there. Without his cell phone number or address, I had noway of contacting him other than sending him an email. The hotel had an internet cafe, which after I sat down at one of the computers I realized charged a minimum fee of $5! Appalled, but with no where else to go, I begrudgingly logged in. I sent a quick email to Zach,then searched for a budget place to spend the night. After scratching down a few hotel names, I caught a taxi into the town center, and ended up at the Arusha Backpacker's Hostel. Unfortunately all of the dorm beds and single rooms were full, so I had to fork over $16 for a double room. Arusha is located at the base of Mt. Meru and within short driving distance to Ngorogoro Crater and Serengeti National Park, and as such, the town is built solely around tourists. This means everything is quoted in US dollars, and as a result, much more expensive. I'm just happy to have a nice hot shower, a soft bed, and free breakfast tomorrow morning!

No comments: