Monday, May 5, 2008

Another day in Rishikesh

This morning's meditation, yoga, and lectures were all really good. I love how relaxed and energized I feel after the meditation and yoga, and despite the soreness in my muscles, I love the sense of accomplishment that it brings. I was awakened early this morning to the sounds and smell of fresh rain fall, and by sunrise a cool breeze fluttered through the courtyards of the ashram bringing with it a perfectly refreshing start to the week. But by mid-day. the sun had moved out from behind the clouds, and a hot, humid heat gripped to everything in its sight. The holy men, or Babas, who line the streets of Rishikesh have begun to recognize me, and the boys at my favorite restaurant bring me a chai without me even having to order. It's a good feeling when you start to blend into a community. I've only been here 4 days, but somehow I've already become a familiar face.

I've decided however, that tomorrow I am going to leave the ashram and Rishikesh to make my way up to Dharamsala, a tiny village that is home to the largest Tibetan community outside of Tibet. Dharamsala has also been the Dalai Lama's home since his exile from Tibet int eh 1980's. But before Dharamsala, I'll stop over in Chandigarh for a day, where I'll stay with a family I connected with through couchsurfing. Chandigarh is supposed to be India's best planned city, complete with tree-lined streets laid out in a logical grid design. I'm looking forward to the massive lassi's that Punjab is famous for and the Tibetan food (noodle soup, chocolate balls, and momos!!)in Dharamsala. Of course, the beautiful Himalayan scenery will be a big plus too!

No comments: