Friday, May 23, 2008

The Countdown to Africa

I AM GOING TO KENYA IN 4 DAYS!!! It's unreal, it's unbelievable, it's fantastic! I've waited for this for so many years. The tugging on my heart, soul, and entire being by this continent is one that I can remember clearly beginning early one morning, I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 years old, sitting mesmerized in front of the TV watching naked, skinny, forlorn looking African children, the same age as me, climbing through piles of trash, sleeping on the streets, begging for food. I knew watching that infomercial that there was something much too familiar, much too close to my heart, that somehow I belonged there. That bond, the closeness that I felt that day has guided me to where I am now, and although I've beem tp Africa before, this is the trip that my soul has been waiting for. I don't know what to expect when I get there, and for once, the unknown is fascinating and liberating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dona,
The love in your open heart will pour out and then be filled again with the magic of all your experiences. How blessed you are to have remembered and responded to that voice in your soul. I wish for you a safe, smooth journey and look forward to your updates.
ENJOY!!
Love and hugs,
T-elf

Beatriz said...

YESSS!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to hear about this next phase of your trip. I'm literally on the edge of my seat! I wish I was there with you... I'm going crazy in Italy right now working like a madwoman, maybe I'll beak out of this joint and come see you.
Love you!