Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Unbelievable Generosity in Mozambique

Wow, its been a long time since I last wrote...I guess laying on the beach, swimming in the neon blue water, scuba diving, and drinking 2M's have consumed all of my time! Kate and I spent 4 1/2 days in Wimbe Beach and finally indulged in the sunny beach activities we'd been looking forward to for weeks. Mornings were spent with coffee and CNN, a brisk swim in the ocean before breakfast, and by 10am, we'd walk into town, plunk ourselves under the shade of an umbrella and laze away the day with good food, books, music, and the constant lure of the ocean lapping onto the beach. We managed to meet some wonderfully generous people who made out time at Wimbe even more enjoyable-- Michael from Rome treated us to drinks and lunch for the first few days, a handful of South Africans paid for our indulgences on our first evening, and then Grace and Mandy, 2 fresh law school grads from NYC treated us to a great lunch and wine, not to mention they were our accomplices in some fun, but embarrassing evenings at Russell's Place. Even on our way out of Wimbe as we headed north up the coast, we were picked up by a group of South African's who not only gave us a ride up to Mocimboa de Pria, but a comfortable place to stay, a fantastic fish and prawn dinner, and use of a company truck (yea, I got to drive for the first time in a year!). We were treated like family and never allowed to pay for anything.

The generosity that I have experienced over the course of the past 10 months has restored my faith in the inert goodness of human beings. Despite all of the evil and wrong-doings in this world, the vast majority of people are loving, compassionate members of a global community who do try to do good for others. Regardless of what their motives might be, and as selfish as those motives often are, people are genuinely good. It is our environment, exposure to poverty, and a lack of opportunities that corrupts us. Kate adamantly disagrees with me on this, but I am a firm believer in the good that lies in people's hearts, a believer that ultimately good always prevails over evil.

1 comment:

nanny said...

Faith in the human race - if only all had that. It all seems that we are striving for something that is unreachable, something foreign, something untouchable when maybe all it is - is faith. I think your journey has shown you YOU and that is a journey you should be soooooo proud of. I know I am a better person through you - I feel that the best thing I can give my children is just that - Dona - Faith in the Human Race. I know that Michael is becomming aware of the bigger picture - I am trying hard to foster his wisdom. I look forward to you being here to help enforce that with my children.
I love you and am soooo proud of you.