Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Missed the True Malawi

It's a crisp cool morning, the sun just beginning its ascent into the big blue sky, the sounds of morning--the splashing of bucket showers, the hungry cries of children, the honking of horns announcing a buses departure-- are carried by the wind, rustling through the eucalyptus trees. Kate and I expect to cross into Mozambique this afternoon, traveling first to Mandimba and then on to Cuamba. Malawi has been a whirlwind experience, spending only 7 days in the country and primarily at backpacker places at that. I don't feel like I really got to know this country. I didn't eat local food, or learn any words in Chichewa Only once, last night, did we stay in a local guest house. We really skimmed over this country and its the first place that I don't feel like I got the full experience. What I did learn about this country is that its much easier than its neighbors, rightly living up to its label of "Africa for Beginners." Transportation is relatively easy, people for the most part speak English, there are plenty of muzungus to latch onto, and as I reluctantly found out, its well set up for travelers. It's a country I'd love to return to, but next time I want to discover the true Malawi.

No comments: