Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tanjore, India

Tanjore is home to Brihadishwara Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I wasn't sure I was ready to see yet another temple, but I figured I was here, I might as well. The temple was stunning. It's sweeping lawns and castle-like walls make the temple seem like a movie-set, but yet, its still a fully functional temple. Visitors are greeted and blessed by an elephant, worshipers wander the complex barefoot, chatting and praying, and the temple is eternally guarded by Nandi, a giant sculpture of Shiva's bull.

Once again I was bombarded by Indians wanting their picture taken with me, but this time i was primarily elderly women and their grandchildren. I happily obliged. They were so excited to have had their photo taken and absolutely tickled by seeing themselves on the camera's LCD screen. In turn, my arms were stroked, my hands were shaken, and I was granted hundreds of head bobbling, toothless grins. This is the India I love.

1 comment:

nanny said...

Can I have your autograph ;-D - my little celebrity friend. It is interesting that the tall american girl can be such a fascination. The Angelina Jolie of India ;-). Too funny. barracuda curry?? Yummy??!!

Great descriptions I can smell the curry. Love you, stay safe, keep up your exploration.

M