Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Loving Mumbai

So this may be the longest I've gone without writing in my journal or updating the blog, but I've been having so much fun and been kept so busy here in Mumbai that I've haven't really had the time or desire to write much! I've been in Mumbai since Friday morning, staying with Manu and Rahul who I met through couchsurfing. There is a very active, close-knit group of couch surfers here and so I've been spending much of my time with them. Saturday was Holi, a fun, colorful and crazy festival that is celebrated throughout northern India. Holi is celebration of the changing of the seasons and of the coming harvest. Colorful dye is thrown, smeared, and splattered everywhere. Water fights break out of nowhere. Drinks flow. Food is endless. People walk down the streets covered in bright pinks, oranges, greens, and blues. Today, three days later, my hair is still an amazing rainbow of red, yellow, and green, and my neck and arms have an attractive blue tint to them! I'm determined to start Holi in the US...Indians sure do know how to have a good time!

Manu and Rahul have been great hosts, going out of there way to make sure I have a wonderful and memorable stay in Mumbai. There is a saying in India atithi devoh bhavah (guests are like god) and its no doubt that I've been treated as such. I am actually thinking about finding an organization to volunteer with and stay for a few weeks or longer. Well, I'm off to see the premiere of the Bollywood film, Race.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dona....Missed you! SO happy to hear you having such a fantastic time! Their attitude toward guests is really something. Can't wait to see pics of the festival...........and you in all your rainbow of colors!

Love and hugs,
T-elf

Beatriz said...

so which one is the hot roommate, manu or rahul? send pictures, quick!

Jen said...

I'm back! I'll call you soon-too tired to write or call now. I quickly read your blog and I'm so excited to hear that things are going so well. Love and miss you! Can't wait to talk!

jen

Anonymous said...

So glad you are having a great time. Holi was one of my favorite holidays. I remember getting caught in a parade and plastered with color. It's so good to hear the great hospitality has not changed. We miss you so much.
Love,
mom

Beatriz said...

omg.... dying to see pictures!!!!!!!!! DYING i tell you!!! i am so jealous that i'm not there!!!

lazy said...

wow great to read your journal :)!