Saturday, March 15, 2008

Missing Home

I had one of those moments today on the bus when I started daydreaming of home--of family and friends, of clean clothes, of a daily routine, of all things normal. I'm getting tired of traveling. A new place everyday, living out of a backpack, and noreal friends out here, it gets lonely. I so wish I could just go home for a few days, or week even--to embrace my family, to laugh with my friends, to eat my favorite foods. There's a movie theater just down the road from where I'm staying, maybe seeing an American film will provide me with a temporary escape from my longing of home.

I arrived in Mysore early this afternoon and began feeling much better after a good scrub down in the shower (it had been a few days!), a few sips of a chilled King Fisher, and the anticipation of a vegetable curry for lunch. Home always feels furtherest away when you haven't showered in a few days and the guy sitting next to you on the bus won't stop berating me with questions. But inbetween the endless questioning, in moments of relative silence, I got to thinking about my plans for African and my eventual return home. I've connected with A Running Start, an organization baed out of NYC that works in East Africa to harness the immence running potential of the region's youngsters. One of their trainingprograms works exclusively withyoung girls and uses running as means of empowerment. The facility is located just outside of Arusha, Tanzania and its director a former Olympian, Zach Gwandu, has offered for me to come and work with the girls. I'm not sure what role I would play, but it seems like somthing I would greatly enjoy. Combining my love for sports, Africa, and public health is always something I've dreamed of. In July, I'll meet up with Lara and Kate for a week of luxury in Kenya, after that hopefully my family or one of the many friends who promised to visit make the journey to visit, and by October I think I wil be ready to go home. I ant to be home for Emily's 17th birthday, for Thanksgiving, and for Christmas. This will be Emily's last year at home and I want to make sure I'm around for it. I really miss my baby sister!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ran across a fabulous songwriter lady that is planning on a few months in India so I sent her your blog address.

Almost said on the off chance that you guys would be in the same place, but you may have already waved to each other knowing how things work for us.

Planted a few acres of pasture mix and it literally STOPed raining for a few weeks.

..so then I got the mower all spiffed up and it hasn't stopped raining since.
Somehow I got a little bit backwards on my timing, but at least it's a perfect 180 degrees outta synch.

Today is a fantasy trip for fruit trees, grape vines and whatever jumps out at me.
Seeds for soy, rice, wheat, oats, barley and some litmus paper to test Ph of the various soil regions to give everything the best chance to flourish.

If I time it right, we should have tons of all kinds o' melons starting in July.

Already getting reservations from around the whirld for faerieworlds fest, so that's exciting and motivational.

Hopefully you'll run into some friends if you get to land somewhere for a while.
Any ideas in particular?

We miss you too, but want you to embrace your freedom for this trip.

Not to worry, we'll ALL be here.
love

Beatriz said...

Hey Dona
I really miss you too! I went to an awesome place last night in the city that you would love... an African dance club! Cant wait to take you there when you come home. Love you

nanny said...

CAN NOT wait to see you. We miss you here at our house a lot too. It was great to hear your voice. Homesick days are not fun but interesting enough they pass and you can move to the next adventure.

Love you lots. M and M and B

Anonymous said...

DONNAAAAAAAAAA i miss you sooooo much too. i really want you here for my 17th birthday and thanksgiving and christmas. i can only imagine not showering for a few days and traveling non-stop. that would be absolutely disgusting and i probably couldn't do it. your such a trooper dona and i really wish you were here with me.
love and miss you,
Emily

Anonymous said...

Dearest Dona,
Ditto big time. We miss you too SOOOOOOOO very much and can't wait to see you. With the drop in the $ and scary recession, it's more difficult to travel, but I'll do my best. Glad you remain healthy and for the most part happy, enjoying intriguing cultures, interesting people and fabulous scenery. Doesn't get much better than that. Can't wait to see you.
Love you lots,
mom

Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm so happy to hear that you'll be home in October(ish)! That gives us an end in sight. I can't wait to hang out with you again. I'm not gonna lie, I don't think I'll be able to come see you(well, you never know!) because Matt and I are saving for a trip to chile and argentina for christmas. But It will be awesome to see you after all this time. I can't believe you've been gone since November. I love reading your blogs! Oh and that Running Start program sounds so perfect for you, I can't wait to hear more about it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dona, Gosh A Running Start sounds like a perfect match for you! I hope you have felt the HUGS from home and all the people that love you and maybe it helps some with your missingness of home. This time will pass all too quickly and one day you will be saying, gosh, for the carefree days of traveling abroad.....
Love and BIG hugs,
T-elf