Thursday, June 5, 2008

My First Day of Running

I went running with the girls for the first time today, and even though it was just a recovery run for them after a hard speed workout this morning, I was actually able to keep up with them for the entire 40 minutes! Granted, I don't think we were running faster than a 10 minute mile pace, but after 7 months of not running, I was pretty proud of myself. We ran on the roads that meander through the villages, past kids playing soccer, and streams with women washing clothes, up hills, and through herds of goats. Kids and adults shouted "Muzungo!" some even mockingly ran behind me for a good laugh. I don't think they see too many white people running around here.

When we got back home, I taught the girls some new stretches and introduced them to different ab exercises. They laughed and giggled their way through yoga-inspired stretches that had them mending in ways they never thought possible and groaned as they worked their abs in places they didn't know they had muscles. Ok, is that enough? "No, continue, continue!," echoed throughout the courtyard as I dug deeper and deeper in my memory, back to my days of gruelling track workouts, to come up with new things to teach them. The run and stretching felt great and even though I know I will be sore tomorrow, I'd love to make this a daily event...ok realistically, at least a 3 time a week event!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yea, they used to say every Other day at most with tons of good reasons and research behind it all.

How's the water supplies?

Glad you found a fun place, as always.

I'm going to try and reactivate my paypal account.

It got messed up when they changed routing numbers...aka sold the bank, but everything else should be the same.

Trying to find a phonenumber for paypay is a mystery in itself.

Almost time to do our second planting so the corn etc doesn't come all at once.

Have fun and streeeeetch before your workoutsLOVE

Beatriz said...

i was out on a trip all week and just had to catch up on your life... WOW! you are doing some amazing stuff. i'm totally writing to oprah about you. you should be on that show!

Anonymous said...

Has anyone been able to get thru on the phone?

I've tried a few mornings from the west coast and the message is: "unavailable, to try again later."

Thanks