Monday, June 23, 2008

Meeting Neema and Faudhia

The Massong family, Patrick and Rehema, and their two children, Maria and Peter, have embodied the true spirit of African hospitality. I've spent two wonderful days in their home, just outside the town of Singida. Rehema has made sure that I am well fed (maybe a little too well fed!), well rested, and always happy. I spent much of today visiting the home of Neema and Faudhia. Both girls live on the outskirts of Singida in the most basic of homes imaginable. Mud bricks stacked less than 5 feet high form the walls and layered sticks sealed with mud and cow dung formed a roof. One room for sleeping, one room for cooking. And that's it. Only 2 small holes allow light into home's dark interior. The walls are caked in black soot from years of charcoal and wood fires used for cooking and heating the home. Neema's family has 7 children, Fauhdia's 6. Seeing their living condition, really truly seeing it and experiencing it, not just seeing it in a picture or reading about the poverty stricken lives of Africans, sparked deep seeded inspiration to do everything in my power to lift these families from the only reality they have ever known. Neema's father is a night watchman and is the sole provider for the family with an income of less than $50 per month. Fauhdia's family are farmers and live solely on the crops and cattle they produce. During my visit with each of the families, through Mr. Massong as my translator, I explained the Athletic Scholarship Program and what the future could hold for their daughters. I emphasized that through determination, hard work, and dedication that their daughters could achieve anything. The parents, with deep gratitude in their watery eyes, thanked me for bringing such blessings into their lives. Feeling the sincerity in the grasp of their hands and in their words, I too was moved to tears. Something so basic, but utterly life changing. I am more determined than ever to see this program succeed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're amazing. I can't wait to see this come to fruition and I want to help!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you have given a HUGE gift to these families already, the gift of HOPE! Know you will be supported in your efforts. What a wonderful project for you when you return home...searching out grants and such. What is next on your agenda? Take care, big hugs.
T-elf

Anonymous said...

I think your name should have been HOPE and not Dona. I am basically where I am today because of that same hope I got from you and your family, a couple of years ago. I'll would like work with you on this project. Remember you are loved!

vibhu_wathava said...

This is best thing in your personality that you think about others so much. You care about them. I wish If i can help you in this project.

Love you
Vibhu