Friday, November 30, 2007

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Today has been one heck of a day! My alarm went off at 5:30am, I was to the bus station by 6, and we were on our way to Ho Chi Minh City by 6:30. An uneventful 6 hours later, we arrived in Vietnam's capital city. I was supposed to meet up with Brian, a Canadian and fellow couchsurfer who lives here, but after sitting outside Lotteria, an Italian fast-food franchise and our designated meeting spot, for over 2 hours, I gave up. I hitched a ride to the local backpacker area and found a nice, clean guest house for the night. The guest house is run by Hun and his wife. The first thing I noticed when I walked in, was a man laying on the floor. I was started at first, but quickly realized that the man was actually their son and quadrapalegic. With no wheelchair to sit in, he is confined to living out his life laying on the floor and at the mercy of his parents, trapped in his contorted and imobile body. I don't have a clue how old he is, but he doesn't look older than 15 or 16. I make a point to smile and wave everytime I pass him.

This guest house is so clean! I won't even have to use my sleep sheet tonight and it has hot water and a western toilet!! Oh yea, and they have 2 chiuwawas...which Hun's wife affectionately refers to as her Mexican Dogs.

No comments: