Saturday, November 24, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!



We spent most of the day at an orphanage that the hostel we are staying at helps to sponsor. The orphanage is home to 25 AIDS orphans, the sight of which broke my heart. Every child was covered in skin lesions, their nails rought and cracking, and all far too small for their age. Most of the children have lived in the home sice they were infants, having been abandoned by their families because of their positive diagnosis. The children had remarkable spirits, life in their eyes, and laughter that could melt anyone's heart. There was one girl in particiular who was 14, but looked no older than 10 and was obviously far sicker than the other children. She looked so tired and worn down, almost like she was sick of fighting. She tried to engage in the activities with the other children, but felt too sick to participate for long. There was a sadness about her that the other children didn't exhibit, almost like she knew she was close to the end. I sat with her much of the time--her head resting on my shoulder as I rubbed her back. I wanted so badly to give her a bath, rub lotion on her flaking skin, cut her toenails, and to make her feel loved. I wanted to tell her that everything was going to be alright.

5 comments:

nanny said...

I found myself crying while reading this. I would have wanted to do the same. That little girl will never forget you. Stay strong. Love you M and M

Anonymous said...

Moving....I'm sure you have made a stong impact already. You are a wonderful person and I'm really enjoying keeping up on your adventure. Happy Thanksgiving to you Dona!

berta said...

This world is a difficult place. Thank God there are people who can bring if only a glimmer of hope and happiness. Thank you for being such a person. We all have so much to be thankful for. Thank you for reminding us.

Michael MacIntosh said...

Incredibly moving photos, Dona. I was really struck with what a meaningful way that was to spend Thanksgiving. Reminds one to appreciate each day and to help brighten other's day whenever we can. You clearly brought a lot of happiness into these children's lives. Your karma overflows, my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding us how truly blessed we are... in so many ways.