Sunday, September 14, 2008

Saying Goodbye to Arusha

I said my final goodbyes to Zach and Mama Gwandu early yesterday morning after spending just 2 days in Arusha tying up loose ends in preparation for the start of the Scholarship Program. In fact, today Mamu Gwandu is traveling the 8 hours to Singida to pick up Neema and Faudhia! I arrived in Moshi yesterday morning to find Kate still in bed, nursing a hangover from the previous night. Turns out wine, cocktails, beer, a stripper pole and encouraging friends can make for some interesting stories. After a shower and a cup of coffee, we lingered around town, caught up on internet to do lists, and enjoyed a shandy and Greek salad while basking in the magnificent views of Mt. Kilimanjaro before heading back to the hostel for an afternoon of homemade popcorn and Julia Roberts movies. Exhausted from 3 consecutive nights of disturbed sleep, zoning out to Notting Hill and My Best Friend’s Wedding while filling my yearning for home with one of my favorite snacks was perfectly in order. We’re staying at a place called Hostel Hoff, a hostel that arranges short and long-term volunteer projects for its guests. There’s a constant flow of volunteers here, some staying for just a week, others for upwards of 6 months. It’s a homey little place with a great hot shower, the best book exchange I’ve seen in months, and a fantastic staff that cook delicious meals and make sure that you feel right at home. Kate has been here since Tuesday and plans to stay for the next 6 weeks or so volunteering with a local womens group before returning home to Sacramento in November. As for me, well tomorrow I’m off to Nairobi, my final stop before making the 2 day journey home.

No comments: