Saturday, September 27, 2008

I had a fantastic week in Florida visiting my slightly neurotic grandmother, my mom and Irene. The trouble I anticipated with adjusting to life at home has yet to surface. I've managed to slip right back into life here--sups of morning coffee, driving, shopping, and wine with my mom. Being able to take a hot shower everyday is something I will never again take for granted. Clean clothes are such a luxury, and the sense that I can do absolutely anything I want in life is liberating and inspirational. My mind occupies itself with planning for the future of the Team 100 Foundation, to do lists, brainstorming, and devouring everything related to athletics and running have kept me plenty busy. Despite the market crash, the fiery political contest, and depressed predictions of the future, I have nothing but hope. I am grateful that today I am just 26, and not 66 or 76, and that my financial future isn't tied up in the falling stock market. I foresee a great future for the girls and for myself. I am looking forward to getting home, to seeing friends, and reconnecting with my sister. And I'm excited to start a non-profit, to find funding, and to see this little idea grow into something profound. Something that not only is going to fulfill my lifelong dream to work on a cause that intimately empowers Africans, but something that is going to effect great change to not just a few girls in Tanzania, but for their families, their sport, and their country.

1 comment:

dr.j said...

congratulations on a great trip!

i've followed your journeys, here and there, and you've inspired me to leave the block and plan a surf travel trip. thanks!

there is some business in my writing. last year at the women's conference in long beach, you'd visited our booth and unfortunately forgot your bag of goodies. i'd tried to return them to the organizers, but some people left that organization and kind of left me waiting for a return call since the end of last year.

if you'd like to get your things back, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

thanks&cheers,
j