Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Anticipating What's Next...

It’s like I’m in some sort of holding period—jetting off from the developing world, back to the developed. Back to 300 TV channels, paved roads, and more choices then most of us know what to do with. Gone are the grueling 12 hour bus rides, hello to my own private, air-conditioned car. No more shady guest houses or hand washing my own clothes. The luxury of comfort and ease await me, first in Doha and then tomorrow in Washington D.C. I can’t decide if the excitement I feel is for the initial break from bare bones travel that home promises, or if it’s for the known, the routine, and starting a new chapter in my life. Have I cured the wanderlust in me, tamed the free spirit? I don’t think so, maybe just for now. For a week, a month, or even a year, but already I can feel the urge to plan my next great adventure, my next exploration of a world that sometimes seems so small, but also so overwhelmingly huge. I have seen so much this year, grown by leaps and bounds, but still I find myself ever questioning and wondering what the world out there has for me to discover.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tame your free spirit....NEVER! You I think are destined to remain open and free in mind, body and spirit. You have much to share with the world Dona...you have just begun! This respite back home in the arms of those that love you will get you ready for your next adventure. Welcome home!
I look forward to some time with you.........I know the line is LONG :-)
I love you...BIG hugs,
T-elf